Friday, December 5, 2008

End-of-Semester Reflection

At the beginning of the year I was slightly skeptical about the Paideia program. My motive to join was still unclear and I still was not quite sure what I was going to gain from the experience, if I was going to gain anything at all. Paideia ended up being more then just a class. Learning human behavior was the title of our cohort. I learned more about human behavior just by watching the interactions between the members of my cohort. We had some very opinionated people and some timid people. We had heated discussions about world topics that questioned ethics, morals, and religions. Some people would state their case and defend themselves by insults to others. Others would wait for the perfect moment to chime in and others could not wait their turn. Overall this year has been amazing. I learned that learning about human behavior does not require a text book. Just look around humans reacting with humans are all around waiting to be observed.
Some of the tings that I like most about the Paideia cohort were how we discussed very debatable topics and the discussions could go on forever. I liked the 50 facts book which provided a majority of the heated debates and a new perspective for me on world issues I would have never thought about. The blogs also provide for additional space to voice your opinion, however, I am not sure if anyone read anyone else’s. I liked the blogging system because then I could easily go to someone’s website to see what they are thinking about the issue we are talking about in class. The continued online discussion was also a favorite of mine, even though we only did it once. I feel like we accomplished a lot more by discussing the civic engagement project outside of the limited time we have together.
One thing I did not like about our cohort was that we only got together as a group a couple of times during the year. I do feel like I got to know all the members of the cohort but I feel like even with a bunch of busy schedules, we can fit in some cohort bonding time.
I am really excited about continuing the Paideia program. I learned more about myself then I was expecting and I look forward to learning more. I hope next semester I will be able to break through my shell and voice my opinions. Next semester’s civic engagement project will be fun and hopefully reward to those we work with. I had a blast and can not wait for next year.

No comments: