Monday, November 3, 2008

Civic Engagement

To me civic engagement is defined as addressing and acting upon a public problem. From civic engagement I expect to see the difference our project made in the community or in anybody’s life, even if it just means making a day easier for somebody. I hope to gain the feeling of helping. With school it is easy to get caught up in yourself. You have those days that feel like you are the only person who is struggling through life. By doing civic engagement I hope to focus on somebody else’s problems and helping them over come it.

Some of the issues I am interested in are homeless animals and children at risk. I think we can do something with the Georgetown animal shelter to help out any needs they have to help animals find homes. Or we can do some type of mentoring/tutoring program to help at risk kids to stay motivated with grades.

My only real concern is that the group doesn’t come to a consensus for the project. I just don’t want to be stuck doing something that is not fulfilling to me or another student. I want everyone to be excited about working on the project.

No comments: